When it comes to losing weight and the ability to keep it off, your metabolism and how it is working is the main factor. Your metabolism is your body’s the process of converting calories into energy. If you have a slow metabolism, that means you are burning off less calories and fat. There are some simple tricks to speeding up your metabolism.
1) Eat smaller meals more often One reason a metabolism may slow down is that your are not eating enough. Some people eat very little through out the day but once they get home from work they are like eating machines. This is a very bad time to eat because it is so close to bed time. If you eat and then soon go to sleep your body is naturally slowing down because this is your body’s time to rest so you will burn less calories and the longer the food stays in there the more your body will end up absorbing and by eating little throughout the day your body will conserve energy thinking its not getting enough food and it is conserved as fat. Eating more often but smaller portions keeps your metabolism working through out the day and you are less likely to gorge when you get home.
2) Drink plenty of water Water is vital to the proper functioning of your body, because most of your body is made up of water if you are not drinking enough water your body will also think it needs to conserve water and that can lead to up to 5lbs of water weight alone.
3) Exercise and weight training Exercise will help you to burn fat, especially cardio style work outs but you should also incorporate weights into your fitness plan. Muscle burns more fat. By building muscle you will automatically burn more fat no matter what you are doing.
4) Avoid sugary foods When you eat excessive amounts of sugar, your body tends to store more fat. Your blood sugar levels spike and dip erratically and if you don’t control this bad habit, "insulin resistance" can result – which means your body will have a harder time processing sugar and more of it will get stored as fat. As you probably know high sugar foods also have more calories, so you may be sabotaging any weight loss efforts you have made from the start. The more sugar and carbohydrates you eat the more of these types of foods you crave. Break the habit by replacing sugary treats and drinks with lower calorie high protein foods.
5) Green tea Green tea has long been believed to be a fat burning metabolism booster. It is also used as a very popular energy tea. It does contain caffeine but less than a third of the caffeine in coffee. On the plus side green tea is also loaded with natural antioxidants to help fight free radicals which may help to boost your immune system and fight against premature aging.